Gone are the days when renting a property was as simple as making a request and getting approval from the landlord. In recent times, there have been many instances where tenants default on their tenancy agreements, causing a myriad of problems. Cases like this can get so serious that they make it to the press through court pages. If you are looking to rent a property in Barbados, you must have a genuine intention and be prepared to convince the landlord.
Landlords have come up with a new set of rules for prospective tenants to follow before they can be allowed into the property. The new standard includes submitting professional references and documents to show your financial capacity to pay the rent and take care of the property.
Here is a list of things that Barbados’ landlords are likely to require:
• Completing a rental application which would include your current home address.
• An employment letter that verifies your income or salary.
• If unemployed, a bank statement showing that you have enough money to cover the rent and utilities for the duration of the rental.
• A co-signor: this is someone (usually a friend or relative) that agrees to pay your rent if you are unable to pay.
• Professional References: this could be a letter from someone you know that can vouch for your good character (their names and contact information should be provided). Note that a reference from a former landlord can work in your favour with your new landlord.
At the moment, the Barbados long-term rentals market is very active and competitive. Ensure that you provide as much information as possible to show transparency and commitment to the tenancy agreement. One of the most important requirements is proof that you are financially capable to pay the rent and take care of the property.
Are you looking to rent a property? At Barbados Expat Homes website we are dedicated to helping expats from all over the world with finding housing on the island. We have been in operation for over a decade and a half, during which we garnered a wealth of experience and connections in the real estate industry with external realtors and all sought after developments/gated communities. Our testimonials speak for themselves. Contact us today to get started!